Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Up to my ears

Strawberries
Click here to get Images & Strawberries Pictures - Pictures
in berries!

My wonderful mother-in-law knows how much her granddaughters love strawberries. Yesterday she made sure we got 4 quarts of ripe berries that need to be used fairly quickly. Since my girls like muffins and the like, I started poking around for a yummy strawberry muffin recipe. Here's what hit our fancy this morning. And I think strawberry cream cheese spread might be awesome instead of butter :-)

A few notes: I used olive oil instead of canola. I added some milk because it seemed way too dry. Others on the allrecipes.com site chose to reduce the amount of flour. I also saw later that others had added some vanilla into the mix, and I wish I had thought to do that. I also added some flax seed meal in the mix for its overall health benefits. For me, the recipe filled a standard 12-cup muffin pan, and we still have 5 muffins left for later this week. In this large family home, I really LOVE recipes that are easy to double, but I don't like to double on the first try. This one is a keeper, and I will double it the next time.


Print Recipe

Strawberry Muffins

Course: Breads
Serves: 8

Ingredients

  • 1/4 cup canola oil
  • 1/2 cup milk
  • 1 egg
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1/2 cup white sugar
  • 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 cup chopped strawberries

Directions

  1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C) oil an 8 cup muffin tin, or use paper liners.
  2. In a small bowl, combine oil, milk, and egg. Beat lightly. In a large bowl, mix flour, salt, baking powder and sugar. Toss in chopped strawberries and stir to coat with flour. Pour in milk mixture and stir together.
  3. Fill muffin cups. Bake at 375 degrees F (190 degrees C) for 25 minutes, or until the tops bounce back from the touch. Cool 10 minutes and remove from pans.
Amount Per Serving
Calories: 233
Fat: 8.2g
Cholesterol: 28mg
Sodium: 283mg
Carbohydrate: 35.9g
Fiber: 1.1g
Protein: 4.2g

Powered by
Plan To Eat

No comments:

Post a Comment