Friday, October 7, 2011

Topic du jour - ArtPrize

Last night the ArtPrize winners were announced, and the winner of the first place will receive $250,000. It's year 3 for this radically open art competition that transforms the center of what I like to call my town into a showpiece for all kinds of art - some good, some mediocre, some bad - it's all in your point of view. There's even a website dedicated to showcasing all the worst that ArtPrize has to offer.

So what do I think of ArtPrize this year? (Keeping in mind that last year we actually hosted an artist in our home while she installed her work, and we really did bring the triplet stroller down on a weekend so the whole family could see as much art as possible during year 1 and year 2). So, what do I really think of ArtPrize this year? Ummm, I don't know, seriously, hardly have a clue. Apart from driving by a venue and dropping Lotte off at another for a weekly music rehearsal, I haven't seen a painting, sculpture, drawing, or anything else. Between work and home, taking time away to enjoy a leisurely walk through ArtPrize venues has been impossible. I never even registered to vote.

I do think it's interesting that we've reaffirmed the fact we're a very religious community by selecting Mia Tavonatti's piece as the number one of all those submitted. I haven't seen the piece, Lotte says it's amazing, but I haven't seen it. Just because it's religious and was commissioned doesn't negate it from being good art, in my opinion. After all, Michelangelo's piece at the Sistine Chapel was also commissioned and also religious. No one questions its value as good art. I guess I still don't know what to think about the fact that last year the top choice was a bunch of white guys going off to war and this year it's Jesus. 

Anyway, maybe I'll get to ArtPrize tomorrow and see a few things. In the meantime, I can remember the bits I saw last year... photos to come later... when I can get them off my phone (yeah, they're still on there).

No comments:

Post a Comment