Tuesday, October 25, 2011

No, I didn't sell my firstborn

It's not unusual in today's economy to see signs for "We buy gold" on street signs. Pawn shops also seem to be doing a steadier business. Craigslist, eBay, and the normal classifieds have undoubtedly also seen an increase in certain types of items to sell, like wedding rings and family heirlooms.

As Tripped Up Daddy and I work through our own transitional time periods, i.e. going back to college, looking for full-time work, triplet toddlers that still aren't potty-trained (uh, do you know what diapers cost for triplets?), we've had our own spots of "maybe we need the money more than this thing, so let's sell it." And recently we decided to start simplifying and de-cluttering.

Photo credit: calsidyrose Creative Commons Flickr
The most recent transaction may end up leaving me disowned from my family of origin. You know - my mom, dad, sisters, brother... that family of origin. You see, I sold the French Horn. A musical instrument.

In my family, we don't sell instruments (unless we're getting a better one of the same kind). No, instead we name them. Musical instruments are like children, something to be treasured, to learn to take care of, to share with the world, but never, ever to sell. Especially not the one that your Grandma bought for you.

But here's the thing. I think I should get credit for not selling an actual child. I mean, really, I do have more children than I did French Horns. And, honestly, the French Horn was actually quieter than the children - especially in the middle of the night. To be honest I really don't think I've heard that French Horn at all since 1987 - that's pretty darn quiet.

I never did name the French Horn and for the life of me I can't even find a band geek picture of me with it at all. I guess my horn never officially hit the musical instrument "child" status anyway. The money it's bringing in is definitely more than "some," and we have plenty of ideas on where it can go.

I promised I'd keep you posted if I turned into a millionaire overnight by selling off stuff...no worries, it hasn't happened yet.


No comments:

Post a Comment